If you haven't been to Pie Ranch on the San Mateo coast, let me tell you that it's an awesome operation. The sign above can be found inside the farm stand. And the Barn Dance every third Saturday isn't to be missed. We'll be talking about agriculture in San Mateo (and Santa Clara and Santa Cruz) counties tomorrow. More about that below.
- Reclaiming the Wilderness. One Ranger's journey into nature. (Earth Island Journal)
- Protecting Ecosystems Brings Benefits to Society. A look at eco-system services in the European Union. (Science Daily)
- Robertson Ranch added to park district. East Bay Regional Park District's most recent purchase is Robertson Ranch, a 1,368-acre property between Palomares Road and Interstate 680, just north of Sunol. (SF Chronicle)
- What Measure A will mean to Marin parks and ranchlands. An Op-Ed piece on this important local measure. (Marin IJ)
- New life imagined for the hidden gem of Sunol. San Francisco's water system proposes a new visitor and natural education center to make the little-used Sunol Water Temple area a popular destination to enjoy and learn about nature, water and wildlife. (Contra Costa Times)
- The Nature Conservancy Gifts 750 Acres to the Elkhorn Slough Foundation. Largest Single Transfer of Conservation Lands in History of Elkhorn Slough (The Nature Conservancy)
- Hopping, skipping, jumping to nearest park. Trust for Public Land's ranking of San Francisco and Measure B according to Leah Garchik. (SF Chronicle)
Every Wednesday we find stories about land conservation and we share them here. It's all kinds of goodness.
Tomorrow - tomorrow! - we'll hold our Fall Gathering at the San Pedro Square Market in downtown San Jose from 10am-1pm. It's a full house and if you're not coming, you can watch from the comfort of your computer here on the blog and on Twitter. Feel free to join in at #ieatlocal
Directions to San Pedro Square Market can be found here. Enter on West St John Street under the big clock. Parking lots can be found here. Extra bonus points will be handed to anyone who takes a train, commuter rail or a bike to get there.